We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
Bremen: Woman out of danger after eating cannabis cake
In Bremen, two women had to be hospitalized after consuming cannabis cake. One of the two was temporarily in mortal danger. A medical doctor considers the extreme health consequences to be very unusual.
Young woman had to be resuscitated
Two employees of a refugee shelter were hospitalized in Bremen on Wednesday. According to a police report, a 16-year-old resident of the property had invited the two women, aged 25 and 62, to eat cake. “A short time after consumption, the women complained of severe dizziness and nausea and were hospitalized. The 25-year-old had to be resuscitated there, ”reports the police. A police spokeswoman said, according to a message from the dpa news agency: "She has suffered the worst complications."
25-year-old is now out of danger
The following day, the police wrote: "The 25-year-old woman who was critically injured after eating a cannabis cake is out of danger."
According to a police spokeswoman, she was conscious again, but still had to stay in the hospital.
The 16-year-old, who was temporarily arrested, had said he had received the bakery from a friend from Lower Saxony the day before. According to police, a 24-year-old man was found.
As the agency report says, the police are investigating an attempted homicide. Among other things, it is to be investigated whether the intoxicant was the reason for the life-threatening situation of the 25-year-olds.
Consume cannabis pastries
In the past, there have been reports of cases in which cannabis use has caused enormous health problems.
Last year, for example, several educators in Baden-Württemberg had to be treated in a hospital after eating hash biscuits.
And just a few months ago, eating a cannabis chocolate cake brought four people to the clinic in Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania.
A few years ago, doctors from Düsseldorf even said they had detected the first death from cannabis, but experts doubt the doctors' analysis.
Marijuana not only has an intoxicating effect, it also helps with various diseases. A recent change in the law in Germany has made it easier for seriously ill patients to receive cannabis on prescription.
You might not taste marijuana in the cake
Even in the current case, it is not yet known whether the intoxicant caused the health problems.
As it says in the dpa report, the doctor Dr. Frank Fischer, who works as a senior physician with addicts in the children's and adolescent hospital on the Bult in Hanover, considers such severe health consequences to be rather unusual.
But: “Nothing is impossible. There are allergic reactions to substances that nobody expected. "
A typical dangerous side effect of high-dose marijuana is psychosis, a schizophrenia with delusional experience. Panic attacks and circulatory problems could also occur. However, lethal side effects are not very likely.
However, the doctor described it as dangerous if cannabis products were stretched with substances such as lead or glass.
According to the doctor, cannabis biscuits are a major risk primarily because the consumer initially does not notice what they are consuming. An overdose is therefore likely. "You may not taste it," says Fischer. The body usually reacts within a quarter of an hour.
Wait for the results of the investigation
The social authority of the city of Bremen was shocked. "It is definitely a very tragic incident," said spokesman Bernd Schneider. “It is still very vague what happened. We have to wait for the results of the investigation. ”
Social senator Anja Stahmann of the Greens was dismayed by the incident. "She has promised support to those affected," explained Schneider. According to the information, psychological help is to be offered to the employees of the refugee home.
According to Schneider, hospitality is a big issue, especially in refugee accommodation. It is common for people to invite each other. He had never seen an invitation with such consequences. (ad)